Funston Air Races?

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Funston Air Races?

Postby tom white » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:08 am

What ever happenned to the air races at Funston? The event was a lot of fun. Would others like to bring em back?

Tom
tom white

ridge racing

Postby aviatorjames » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:21 pm

I flew in the Steeplechase a couple of times many years back...
...was never a threat to Kenny Brown and the like, but I had a gas!!

Count me in... Jim Harris
aviatorjames

Racemaster needed

Postby Daniel Pifko » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:23 pm

Hey guys,

Yep, I thought this would be fun too but I can't sign up to run it this year. I think all it needs is someone to head up organization. I believe the club would back this.

Daniel
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

Air Races

Postby tom white » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:52 am

What time of the year did they traditionally occur?

Tom
tom white

Postby focs » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:35 am

That would be fun. And I though I did all that speed gliding from westlake to north gap for nothing! (I probably did, anyway, since I was on a Falcon at the time:)
focs

Postby dave ruiz » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:26 am

if your going to do races, whatever, hold them during the early spring or early fall. when May marches in so does the fog. take my word for it. do not pick summer time for sure......
dave ruiz

Postby Henry Bittner » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:59 pm

Howdy all, Talk to Dave Ruiz and Cheif, they can run it and tell you about it.

Henry
"....at length did cross an albatross,
through the fog it came."

-Sam T Colldrige
Henry Bittner

Postby Attila » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:40 pm

Air Races.
Here is an idea that was discussed at our last meeting (with some of my own thoughts thrown in).

Keep them simple to run and organized. Keep them relatively low-keyed so that they could be held easily and frequently. For example, a 4 week race series each month scheduled for every flyable Saturday.

One idea is to set them up as a "time-trial" format. Pilots would launch at periodic intervals. Scoring would be based on an elapsed time to fly a set course. This could mean that the volunteer time keeper and scorer could also race since these responsibilities could be shared among all the pilots. Some ideas might be: a pilot in line to launch could record the launch time of the previous pilot, the last pilot to launch records the landing (or finishing times) until relieved by the first pilot to complete the course.

We may need a course judge at a turn point to verify that a pilot flew the course successfully. This could even be a paid "volunteer" which might even get covered by FF, or by a nominal entry fee to the "race-series".

"low-key"? Yea, lets keep this fun. We would be racing for bragging rights, not prize money.

for further consideration:
multiple classes, handicapping, course selection, dangers and risks of flying competively, glider identification (numbering scheme?).

Attila
Attila

Return to General Discussion