Eric Mies

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Eric Mies

Postby dave ruiz » Mon May 23, 2011 12:16 pm

My band Slanted House will conduct a fundraiser for Eric (someone pls tell me the correct spelling of his last name). The event will be on May 28th. (saturday) from 12:30/4:30 or so.....the address is 3779 25th.St in san francisco...the cross street is Dolores st..... pls bring pot luck stuff....we will provide hot dogs and burgers...we'll need someone to be in charge of the BBQ.... pls help us out....this is for one of our fallen pilots....let's be a community and come together for this....we will have a tip jar out for donations....all proceeds will go for Eric and his family.....be generous, be there ....regards and love to all Dave Ruiz
"If you ain't a pilot ...you ain't shit."
dave ruiz

Re: Eric Mies

Postby crvalley » Mon May 23, 2011 12:18 pm

dave ruiz wrote:someone pls tell me the correct spelling of his last name...

Mies...

Thanks, Dave, for putting this on.
“We abuse land because we see it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” ― Aldo Leopold
crvalley

Postby hbittner » Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 am

Hey Dave,

I posted your invite to the WOR bulletin board, hope thats ok. I was wondering if the TAM folks know about this. Does anyone know of a Tam bulletin board?
Henry
hbittner

Postby diev » Tue May 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Hey Dave,
If you setup a PayPal donation link/button there are a few on the HG.org that will toss some "help" his way....and it will make it as easy as a click to help the guy out....
Diev
diev

Postby dave ruiz » Tue May 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Diev that's a great idea....i have to admit though, my plate is pretty full right now getting the benefit going....perhaps the club can do that...it would be a great addition to what we're trying to do... :idea:
"If you ain't a pilot ...you ain't shit."
dave ruiz

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:09 pm

I just talked to Celia and got an update on Eric’s condition. He is coming along slowly, still can’t move his fingers but she is massaging them every time she visits and he is starting to get sensation back in them!
He has a trach tube with a ventilator but is breathing on his own more and more. Hopefully his diaphragm will continue to get stronger so they can wean him of the ventilator all together.

The nurses say he is keeping a positive attitude about his situation but we all need to give him encouragement and remind him that we are pulling for him.
Our cards and letters really help so if you can spare a few minutes to write a card please send it to:

Eric Mies
c/o VA Medical Center, ICU 3A
4150 Clement St., San Francisco, CA 94112

Those interested in helping with their financial situation can use PayPal!
http://www.hanggliding.org/eric.php.html

Thanks to everyone for your support. :-)
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:53 pm

The VA hospital is a short 15 minute drive from the Fort. Go north on the Great Highway, right on Balboa, left on 42nd.
Here is a link to the hospital map, Eric is in building 203, 3rd floor, room 56, best time to visit is between noon and 8 PM.
http://www.sanfrancisco.va.gov/docs/SFVAMC_Map.pdf
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby Dan Brown » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:40 am

John Simpson and I visited Eric yesterday. He is in the Palo Alto V.A. Hospital, Bldg. 100. Eric is alert, talks w/o apparent difficulty, has use of his right arm but physically seems about the same. Pneumonia is a continuing problem.

He appreciates visitors.
Dan Brown

Return to General Discussion