Tandem Update - 11/24/05 - Please read

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Tandem Update - 11/24/05 - Please read

Postby Daniel Pifko » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:59 pm

Tandem at the Fort update, 11/24/05.

F.F. President Daniel Pifko and V.P. Steve Rodrigues met with GGNRA Ranger Rudy Evenson on November 23rd to discuss the Fellow Feathers proposal to allow tandem hang gliding at Fort Funston. The main concerns of GGNRA are:
* safety, including pilot skill, equipment and flying conditions
* no commercial activity
* membership support.

Ranger Evenson had a list of many reasonable considerations in regard to tandem flying at the Fort, including some points from Steve Prokop, the ranger who was around to write the current permit some 10 years ago. But because the FF tandem committee had done their homework, most of the concerns seem to have been addressed to his satisfaction. The one concern that needs follow up is showing membership support for the plan. While the tandem proposal was voted on and approved at the FF meeting in February, Mr. Evenson would still like to hear from as many other members as possible to be sure that no conflict will arise from it.

Please think of any concerns you may have then read the following proposal to see if they are addressed to your satisfaction.

Notwithstanding the birth of his son, Ranger Evenson plans to attend our club meeting on December 13 at 7:00 PM at the clubhouse to see how we run things and get your feedback. The tandem proposal will be the first thing on our agenda, so please come and show your support. As always, free pizza and soda!

Proposed Tandem Rules for the FFHGA

1) A Fort Funston Tandem Director will be appointed by the Fellow Feathers Executive Committee on an annual basis, and no later than the first Fellow Feathers meeting after a new Executive Committee is elected.

2) Tandem flights may only be operated by Funston Tandem Instructors.

3) Funston Tandem Instructors and their hang gliding equipment must be approved by the Fellow Feathers Tandem Director.

4) Funston Tandem Instructors and their hang gliding equipment will be reevaluated annually.

5) Funston Tandem Instructor approval may be rescinded by the Tandem Director or a majority of the Fellow Feathers Executive Committee at any time for unsafe tandem operations, contravention of these rules, or other just cause.

6) Funston Tandem Instructors must hold a current United States Hang Gliding Association Tandem Instructor rating.

7) Funston Tandem Instructors shall comply with all USHGA tandem regulations and FFHGA rules.

8 ) The club shall maintain a list of approved Funston Tandem Instructors.

9) A Funston Tandem Instructor may instruct no more than 3 students per day.

10) Student pilots must be members of the United States Hang Gliding Association.

11) Commercial training and instruction are prohibited.

12) Funston Tandem Instructors must use at least 1 experienced wire person to assist launch.

13) Only one tandem flight may be in the air at Fort Funston at any one time.

14) Tandem flights shall be limited to 20 minutes if another tandem flight is waiting to launch.

15) Tandem flights are only permitted when landing on the beach is an option, and when weather conditions allow an additional margin of safety for top landings above what would be expected for single pilot operations.

16) The club shall submit a tandem operations report to the GGNRA annually. The report will contain information needed for the GGNRA to assess the success of the program, including such details as the number of tandem flights, the names or quantities of active Funston Tandem Instructors, any incident reports, and so forth.

Guidelines for the Funston Tandem Director to use for approving a Funston Tandem Instructor

-Current USHGA card with Tandem Instructor rating. (MANDATORY)

-Safe HG equipment, i.e. safe design and in good repair. (MANDATORY)

-Appropriate Tandem launch method = “FL” (MANDATORY)

-Special skill sign off for Assisted Windy Cliff Launch = “AWCL”. (MANDATORY)

-Experienced at Fort Funston as a solo pilot

-Parachute repack card

-Current logbook

-Personal referrals
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

Tandem Comments

Postby Dan Brown » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:43 pm

Daniel,

Congratulations on the tandem program. The Ranger you mentioned, Steve Prokop, has done a lot for hang gliding at Funston.

The following are some comments and questions about the proposal:
1. Will the Tandem Director be required to be a tandem pilot?
5. A tandem instructor should be entitled to a hearing similar
to a Funston pilot when his approval is rescinded;
10. Student pilots should sign the Funston waiver.
11. “Commercial training and instruction are prohibited.”
According to USHGA’s insurance policy, isn’t the non-pilot
a student technically undergoing instruction? This may be
merely a semantic issue.

A. Tandem gliders should have wheels.
B. Funston experience mandatory. The tandem pilot’s
first flight at Funston should not be a tandem;
C. Can tandem flights go to Westlake?
D. I don’t know if this creates a problem but I think tandem
pilots should receive nominal compensation. Perhaps it could
be presented as reimbursement for expenses
rather than payment for commercial activities.

Dan Brown
Dan Brown

Tandems at the Fort

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:37 pm

Hi Dan,
You bring up some good points. I'll answer between the lines.

1. Will the Tandem Director be required to be a tandem pilot?

I would say the FF Tandem Director should be a USHGA Tandem Instructor, or at least a tandem 1 or 2, but it is not mandatory at this time. I am a USHGA tandem instructor, and have been nominated for the position.

5. A tandem instructor should be entitled to a hearing similar
to a Funston pilot when his approval is rescinded;

Fair idea, we can add that.

10. Student pilots should sign the Funston waiver.

Another good point, also can be added.

11. “Commercial training and instruction are prohibited.”
According to USHGA’s insurance policy, isn’t the non-pilot
a student technically undergoing instruction? This may be
merely a semantic issue.

It should say "commercial training and/or commercial instruction are prohibited", or perhaps "Commercial activity of any kind is prohibited". Ranger Evanson was pretty clear that tandem flying should not be a commercial activity.

A. Tandem gliders should have wheels.

I agree. This is a USHGA recommendation and will be considered in the equipment evaluation.

B. Funston experience mandatory. The tandem pilot’s
first flight at Funston should not be a tandem;

Yes, I agree.

C. Can tandem flights go to Westlake?

That would be up to the judgment of the Tandem Instructor. Another reason to have Funston experience mandatory.

D. I don’t know if this creates a problem but I think tandem
pilots should receive nominal compensation. Perhaps it could
be presented as reimbursement for expenses
rather than payment for commercial activities.

Any form of financial remuneration can be perceived as payment, so I think it would create a problem, see point "11". The GGRNA will be keeping a close eye on us for some time, so we need to strongly emphasize to everyone how important it is to first prove the viability of tandem flight at the Fort, and that the Fellow Feathers can manage this program responsibly. The GGRNA is putting their trust in us, and I fully intend to keep our word.
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

More response to Dan's questions

Postby Daniel Pifko » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:06 pm

Hey Dan,

Thanks very much for your input.

I agree with Steve's responses and have a few additional comments listed below. After we make these and other changes recommended on this board, I'll post the final document and bring it to the December meeting for ratification.

1. I would be in favor of making T1, T2 or TI a requirement for Tandem Director. What's the right level? It seems funny to me to have a Tandem Director who couldn't actually take people up tandem and therefore have the experience to administer the rules. By that logic, TI should be the prerequisite.

10. Done. Text now reads: 10) Student pilots must be members of the United States Hang Gliding Association and must sign the Fort Funston Pilot Waiver.

11. The point of this paragraph is the commercial aspect, though you're right about all tandems being considered instruction. This wording should clear up the ambiguity: 11) Commercial tandem flights are prohibited.

B. Agreed. I have made the experience requirement mandatory.

I need to think more about the appeals process and will post later.

Again, it's really good to have your thoughtful feedback.

Daniel
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion