Site Improvements - looking for ideas

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Site Improvements - looking for ideas

Postby Daniel Pifko » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:50 pm

I'd like to start gathering ideas for improvements to the clubhouse, launch, setup area, or anything else that benefits FF pilots. Ideally these would be projects that would cost the club some but not a lot of money, say between $100 and $1000.

If there's anything we need to do or build before the rainy season starts, now would be the time to step up.

I'll bring up the ideas posted here at the next FF meeting (Sept 14th) for approval, staffing, and/or funding.

Daniel
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

Daniel...

Postby aviatorjames » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:43 pm

How about a couple of wuffo information boards...

Like you see at many "tourist" sites, where a small fixed display shows information about what they are looking at.
It could show a hang glider flying and describe how we control it.
Remind people not to go into the launch area beyond the orange cones.
Let them know that the best place to watch and to take pictures is at the platform.
It could give basic info on why the conditions are good to fly at Funston.
It should certainly let them know that we are always willing to answer any further questions about what we do.
We can point out that it is a generally safe sport and has evolved tremendously over the years.
Blah, blah, blah...you get the idea!!!

Maybe have one at the back edge of the set up area near the parking lot and the picnic table, and one out on the observation platform.

jim harris
aviatorjames

like the idea

Postby Daniel Pifko » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:50 pm

I like that one. It seems like exactly the kind of interpretive thing that parks people like. You know, "The Great Western Snowy Flexie is regularly found hiding behind large shrubbery. One will periodically walk over to the cliff with a bouncing, irregular step, and jump boldly into the predominantly westerly winds. The Flexie feeds on local greenery, Doggie Diner hot dogs, and something it refers to as 'beer.' "

We may have to work on the text ;-) but it's a good idea. We brought up the idea of LZ warning signs a few months ago, but something more complete would work better.
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

oh yeah...

Postby aviatorjames » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:54 pm

LZ warning signs would be good, except I usually close my eyes when I get close to landing
....oh...you mean a warning for the spectators!!!

another thing I noticed the other day...

The windsock pole looks like it has some pretty seriously corroded sections.
Maybe we should get a whole new set of pipes and put a new one together before it snaps off and clocks someone on the observation deck!!!

"Why, that thing could fatally kill you ...or worse!!!" ... Jethro Clampett

Have I spent enough of our money yet?
aviatorjames

posted warning signs

Postby Raffie » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:02 pm

:shock: The ideas of warning signs have been in my agenda for several years.. :o So you guys have not come up with nothing new...For years I been trying to get some back up from the locals and the club to put a warning sign next to the water fountain and at the stairs..Also for so many years I 've tried to close the path (water fountain to the stairs)and
built a new one close to where the old path was..If I were a father with little kids I would apprecciate a warning sign telling me the dangerous of
Xing the LZ and to be aware of the flying objets (gilders)landing close to
the walking path..... :cry: "we do not want more signs ,some pilot might hit and get hurt" yeah!! like how many pilots have hit the water fountain!!
Beside if you hit the water fountain or the sign you should not be flying this site and go back for more training..Some other say "people have the right to go anywhere they please and also to be hit by a landing glider if
they like to"..Let the pilot that it's in final to whack it good when people start walking very slow or fast and not paying attention to where they are going to or the other pilot trying to call their attention... :cry: OOPS!! I forgot,we should not tell them what to do...The time will come when a landing glider and a person will be involve in some serius encounter...I will come up with this topics at the next meeting
Raffie
Westlake Director
Raffie

Text for sign

Postby Daniel » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:20 am

Hey Raffie,

Let's get a jump on the next meeting and propose key warnings and actual text to appear on a sign. Since you've thought about it for a few years, what 20-30 words would you put on a sign? That seems like about the right length to me.

Daniel
Daniel

Great Idea

Postby diev » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:57 pm

WARNING - (!! DANGER !!)
- Approaching Hang Glider LANDING AREA (ZONE) -
Keep Your Eyes on Hang Gliders approaching you (not just "keep eyes looking in the sky") Maybe just "Keep you head up and looking around for incoming...."
IF a Glider is heading your direction....?? get down on your belly, run out of the way? not sure what would be better, but maybe some hints here would be a good idea..."RUN" or "GET DOWN" or "FREEZE" ?? hummmm
NO DOGS in the area? (or Must be on leash in this area)...
Do Not toss things in this direction...
etc etc
just some thoughts....
and I say we put one right by the drinking fountain and onw over by the stairs (shorter of course).....
Diev
diev

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:18 pm

if you want site improvements...get rid of most of the assholes who fly there!!!!! :P

Bribes

Postby Daniel Pifko » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:38 pm

How much would that cost? I'm trying to limit it to $1000. So if there are 300ish stickers sold in a year, that works out to $3.33 per person. Is that a big enough payoff? I might seriously consider not flying at Funston if someone offered me 3 bucks and change.
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

Site improvement...

Postby aviatorjames » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:50 am

Daniel,

Maybe the Warning sign should be part of the Wuffo sign near the fountain.
People are probably more likely to read & heed a warning if it's part of the bigger, nicer message about hang gliding. I agree with Raffie; a sign near the fountain isn't creating a hazard that's not already there!!

Maybe a simple do/don't list...

Do
...watch out for gliders approaching to land!!!
...wait for them to land before starting down the trail!!!
...yell "WHACK!!!" when the nose of the glider hits the ground.

Don't
...fly frisbies or kites in the landing area!!! (Other side of parking lot)
...turn your back to an approaching glider, keep your eyes on the glider so that if necessary you can run out of the way, duck down, or both!!!
...throw dog shit at the pilot..even if the nose of the glider hits the ground!!!

...just more ideas for you...I'm sure the parks dept. will appreciate our concern for the general public. They may even offer to make the signs? I'll try and put together some ideas for the graphics and I'll e them to you.

jim
aviatorjames

Return to General Discussion