Occupy can shut down Fort Funston flying site

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Occupy can shut down Fort Funston flying site

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:29 pm

I just received a call from Jessica Carter of the NPS/GGNRA. The US Park Police have informed her about plans to occupy Fort Funston. She told me, in the strongest possible terms, that anyone setting up a hang glider at Fort Funston would be seen as representing the Fellow Feathers hang gliding club, and that violation of the NPS mandate to stay out of Fort Funston would put the clubs Special Use Agreement at such a serious risk that it could shut down the flying site.

I told Jessica that the Fellow Feathers Executive Committee has publicly posted information about the park closure, and that any club member who violates NPS mandate does so at their own risk and without club authorization. Jessica reminded me of the multiple events that have stressed the clubs relationship with the NPS recently, and that any members disrespect for the park closure would be very bad for us.

The Fellow Feathers Executive Committee values our privilege to fly hang gliders at Fort Funston and must insist that all members respect the NPS mandate. Anyone who puts the flying site in jeopardy can not only be suspended from the Fellow Feathers but even more seriously, can have their USHPA membership revoked for life.

This is serious business; Do NOT set up a hang glider at Fort Funston and do NOT put our flying site at risk!

Thanks in advance for your sensitivity and cooperation.
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion