Wind talker is broke.... no wind speed data..

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Wind talker is broke.... no wind speed data..

Postby cliffblack1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 am

ahhhh huh huh
cliffblack1

Re: Wind talker is broke.... no wind speed data..

Postby diev » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Yeah why? What does it take to fix? What's the hold up?
Diev
diev

Postby diev » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:26 pm

For how long? Year sound good?
Diev
diev

Postby diev » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Down again :-(
Diev
diev

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi Diev,
Besides a power outage that just crashed some of our gear, we also have anemometer issues. Here is an email I just sent to the Board:

"The club has two working anemometers on the tower: One is for the dial-up wind talker, the other is for the web site. I adjusted the one that feeds the web site, which is the lowest unit on the tower.

The old anemometer I took down (and someone saw in the garbage) was the old web site anemometer that had gone bad and was replaced but was never taken down.

Our dial-up anemometer is the middle unit on the tower. This is the one that we need to replace. Like Chuck said, we need to find the correct device that will function with the prehistoric but so-far amazingly durable Litek unit.

Note: We do *NOT* own the anemometer and weather vane on the very tip of the tower. That very top unit belongs to the Bay Area Air Quality Management District who is the owner of the tower and gives us permission to mount our units on it."

Steve
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby flyingzippy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:35 am

Is it possible to adjust the setting for the time duration on the max gust? I often reads a max gust that happened as much as 8 hours ago. That's no longer relevant. I would think the the max gust over the last 1-2 hours would be more useful.

Thanks,
Zippy
flyingzippy

Postby Daniel Pifko » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi Zippy,

1 - You can get a running view of the max gust from the chart right below the dials on http://flyfunston.org/newwebcam/. The green dots are gust values.

2 - When I installed wview years ago, that wasn't one of the options. It might have changed since, or someone could change the code to calculate the running max gust over x minutes.

Daniel
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 am

I hung the new anemometer on the tower last Saturday so the hardware should be good to go.
Now we are just waiting to get our phone service reconnected! (auto-billing snafu should be rectified soon)
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby crvalley » Tue May 07, 2013 9:29 am

Steve Rodrigues wrote:I hung the new anemometer on the tower last Saturday so the hardware should be good to go.
Now we are just waiting to get our phone service reconnected! (auto-billing snafu should be rectified soon)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all you do...is it possible to adjust the anemometer to let me know when there may be heavy pedestrian traffic and / or dog walkers in the area?

I only need this information for Saturdays and Sundays...

Thanks,

CRV :D
“We abuse land because we see it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” ― Aldo Leopold
crvalley

Return to General Discussion