Dan Murphy and Kurt

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Gathering at Funston

Postby mlbco » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:30 pm

The gathering at Funston today was awesome. There were more gliders in the setup area than I can recall in the last 20 years. Channel 4 and Channel 11 news teams were there to cover the event, did anyone happen to see what was aired on TV? Pilots from all over California and several from around the US were there too. Many faces from the past came to fly and share stories of Dan.

There were often 10+ gliders soaring the main Funston ridge and even more at Westlake. Improptu aerobatics, tandem flights, and exciting landings on the Funston launch were happening all the time. It was a great tribute to Dan and Kurt.

I'm sure others will chime in with more details on who attended and how great this gathering was. There was plenty of sadness and joy being expressed and I think it really helped a lot of us just to be there.

I miss Dan and wish Kurt a speedy recovery.

Steve Morris
mlbco

flying telluride, crashes, pointless loss

Postby teaksmama » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:44 pm

hi folks. i'm just tapping to hope you all the best recovery from your senseless loss. i'm the keeping my feet on the ground type, barely tolerating the airline flight when necessary. but i lived 23 years in telluride before moving to ocean beach a few years ago. watched with my own two eyes as some crazy sailing human came spiraling down into the canyon. there were actually two crashes that day, if it was the same day i remember. the other quite similar within minutes of the first, on the other side of the canyon. didn't fly then, either, but was with friends who did... and heard the voice on the walkie talkie.... 'just dizzy.....'
there were maybe two or three hundred folks in town park that day. i was just one of us. lying on our backs in the rocky mountain beauty watching the aerobatic competition. great landings as well.
well, anyhow, i can't seem to play that video right now, but i remember the spiraling, the one, then two chutes coming out like strings... wish someone with all that could've dodged the bullet and kept at it. i'm the same age and, well, guess i better get drastic with what i do, mostly momming and music, as not to waste any precious moments. saw you all flying today on my way home. such a great sight, and i kinda knew, then, what the outcome was.
i wish you all happy, well, sails.

stephanie
teaksmama

Postby aviatorjames » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:05 am

The families were indeed deeply moved by our gathering.
As I'm sure Dan would be, his witty comments notwithstanding.

It's a great thing that within someone, part of Dan will give life.
And it's a great thing too, that within all those he touched, all that Dan was will give wonderful memories.

Godspeed to Dan.
The best of wishes to Kurt for a quick and full recovery!!!
aviatorjames

Great memorial/preserving Dan's memory and memorabilia

Postby flyfun2 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:51 pm

Thank you to everyone who came out yesterday. It was an absolutely remarkable turnout. Several of the more experienced pilots said how wonderful it was to see people they hadn't heard from in up to 20 years or more. I can't speak for anyone else, but I found it really cathartic to be surrounded by that many pilots at my home flying site, especially so on a day with lots of good air. It was a good day to fly. More than anything else, I'm going to miss all of the things Dan hasn't shown me or won't be able to show the new pilots on the scene.

I was looking at the wheelbarrow video the other day and found myself wondering what a shame it would be for the Stratus V to end up in the bin. So I got in touch with Ken de Russy, who started and operates the Hang Gliding Museum up in Washington state, to see what our options were and if he'd be interested. We're not at all locked into saving the Stratus V this way if someone else at Funston has other ideas in mind, but I wanted to at least explore the option. Here's what Ken wrote back:

Hi Daniel,

I was shocked and saddened to hear what happened to Dan. During his time in
Santa Barbara we had some great times. I videotaped his famous two chute tumble
into the trees. It was one of the most traumatic things I ever witnessed. I
saw him on awards night and he really had to struggle to look uninjured and
looked pretty stiff as he walked up to receive his award - the Golden Hammer as
recall.

I do not have a Stratus V and would very much like to consider including some
items from Dan in the collection. Next to the glider he tumbled I can't think
of a better wing of his to preserve. Personal things like hand written
journals, accounts and logs are especially good at painting a picture of an
individual. Please keep me updated at whatever point it is appropriate but I would
assume this is the kind of thing that his family or executer would handle.

Thanks for thinking of me and my hang gliding history preservation work. I
have been thinking about Dan every day and I will never forget him.

Ken de Russy
Life/Charter Member #5114
Hang Gliding Museum Collector Guy
Anacortes, WA
360 --- ----
flyfun2
Site Admin

Saturday

Postby diev » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:18 pm

Just wanted to share with those that did not know Dan was removed from life support around 2:45pm Saturday 8-26-06.....FLY ON Dan.
(you post images by adding "[img]"image%20url%20here"[/img]") but yes Scott you have to have it hosted somewhere else....

here is the sunrise sat morning....

Gliders gliders gliders....but not too many air shots....lots of traffic ;-)

Pilots, more pilots, family and friends....

The news crew helping with some extra light (thanks) for the late breakdowns, with westlake in the background...

There are a few more on the Funston page on my site...
diev

Postby wingmead » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:37 pm

All,

I just can't believe it. The words awful and tragic don't even come close to describing my feelings right now.

Though I have moved away from the Bay Area, Dan was one of the "old timers" I could regularly count on seeing out at Funston. In fact, it was on my most recent trip back there that I saw Dan who insisted on loaning me his glider (actually, I think it was one he was test flying for a buddy), harness and helmet so I could get some sorely missed airtime.

Dan was a Funston regular when I came to the Bay Area in 1979. He was a part of a very close knit family of pilots which exists to this day and when a member of that family is lost - and there have been many over the years - the loss is felt as deeply and as sadly as any family could.
Dan perpetuated this tradition of closeness in the flying community and carried it over to his other flying disciplines and other sites.

Look around and figure out who you know in the flying community that Dan brought together. The bonds that he helped create will last for the rest of our lives. And that may be the most wonderful legacy of all that he has left us with.

I spent quite a while last night sending quiet thoughts out to the west coast in order to be with you all in spirit. Wasn't much but it was the best I could do at the time.

My heart goes out to his immediate family and his (our) flying family. Dan is sorely missed but his spirit will fly on.

Dudley Mead
wingmead

Deepest Sympathy

Postby Dan.Utinske » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:31 am

Dan, while you are touching the face of God; don't forget to "push out"!

Our Very Deepest Sympathy at this tragic loss.

Dan Utinske & Family
Gig Harbor, Washington

A former Funston pilot who can't seem to stop traveling the globe. God's Speed to all!

Get Well Soon Kurt!
Dan.Utinske

The gathering

Postby Skyhighwoman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:57 am

WOW! What can I say I was just over whelmed with the # of friends, family and pilots. Some I had not seen in at least 15yrs to almost 20yrs.

It was very hard to set up my glider as I would see someone stop and give a big hug (maybe a tear or two or three or a stream of tears). Get back to setting up and someone else would come up. It was MORE than alright it was what I and every one needed.

I did get my flight in and it was pure enjoyment the air was just so smooth so perfect.

The reason we all gather was sad but the family that we are is just so special. It is beyond words of what I felt Sat with all the new and old faces.

I know Dan was tearing up the skies with us as only Dan knows how.

Let's not wait so long or have a reason such as this to gather again!

I will post some pix as well.

BIG HUG to all!

Carm
Skyhighwoman

1-4-05

Postby diev » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:53 am

Dan on launch....of course he was there when I took these shots...

diev

Postby dave ruiz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:59 pm

To All Our Hangliding Family...I think it's appropriate that we should end this tread with that last photo of the sun set.
dave ruiz

Further Kurt updates

Postby flyfun2 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:32 am

I agree with Dave, so we've started a new thread to update everyone on Kurt's status. Click here:http://flyfunston.org/bbs/viewtopic.php.html?t=343
flyfun2
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion