Fellow Feathers suspends Safety Officer!

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Fellow Feathers suspends Safety Officer!

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:59 am

Fellow Feathers President Tom Rust has demonstrated that the club is serious about rules enforcement.

Tom just gave me a one week suspension for launching an H-2 in winds exceeding the limits of the FF H-2 regulations.

The H-2 pilot that I sponsored is also a P-4 whom I’ve known for many years as a competent paraglider pilot. The key word is “paraglider”. The pilot did not fly his prescribed flight plan and landed downwind, pounding hard very close people on the beach. This could have been a disaster and makes it clear to me that in spite of a pilot’s skill level; their proficiency in one type of aircraft does not necessarily translate to proficiency in another. I accept my suspension without contest, lesson learned.

A request to H-2’s: We all want you to get airtime and hate being the bad guy by calling off the day. But please, make it easy for your sponsor by respecting their judgment and don’t push them to let you fly when conditions are questionable. Thank you in advance.

BTW, this was not so much the issue with my H-2 but rather an opportunity to show that there can be repercussions for any sponsor or instructor, club officer or not!

Fly safe, see you all soon!
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion