Special use permit proposed amendments modified

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Special use permit proposed amendments modified

Postby tom rust » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:57 am

I attended a meeting by the PG community Saturday. I think there is a great deal of misinformation and confusion regarding what certain PG pilots want, and what that really means to the HG community.
They also discussed the Rule of 6, and although a great start, can be greatly simplified. Following is a modified set of proposed amendment rules, which draws 2 of its rules directly from FAA flight rules (and reference is included). These rules cover all the cases of the original rule of 6.
My understanding of the 6th rule on launching or landing is already in the existing use permit rules, but Ive added it just for clarification.

As for the additional proposed compromise language, I dont think any of it is really enforceable, and will be largely ignored by the pg pilots if enacted anyway. Many pilots are not USHPA or BAPA members, so realistically, how can you stop them. Better to have peer pressure with a set of rules everyone can live with, that is common sense.

Proposed language for the Fellow Feathers and BAPA Special Use Permits (rule of six):
1. All pilots shall observe International Ridge Soaring Rules.

2. No pilot shall linger upwind or in front of any launch or landing site in such a way that would prevent another pilot from launching or landing safely. PG pilots should not fly under the hg launch window - hg pilots cant see them.

3. No pilot shall enter an established soaring pattern if their joining that pattern would create a safety hazard or cause another pilot to take evasive action to remain in that pattern.
(4) §91.111 Operating near other aircraft.
(a) No person may operate an aircraft so close to another aircraft as to create a collision hazard.
(5) §91.13 Careless or reckless operation.
(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.
6. PG pilots shall not launch or land from Fort Funston.
tom rust

Re: Special use permit proposed amendments modified

Postby tom rust » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:47 pm

And just to clarify, the PG pilots are NOT proposing adding the rule of 6 to the use permit, but to just leave the use permit AS IS. These are just a set of rules of "etiquette" they are proposing amongst their members.
I think this is more than generous on their part.
tom rust

Re: Special use permit proposed amendments modified

Postby Alan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:13 pm

tom rust wrote:3. No pilot shall enter an established soaring pattern if their joining that pattern would create a safety hazard or cause another pilot to take evasive action to remain in that pattern.

I predict a lot of arguments over this one. Slow flying PGs and more advanced HG pilots are perfectly fine flying close to each other that would totally freak out less experienced pilots. So what constitutes a "safety hazard" or what "causes" a pilot to leave favorable list has a pretty big subjective element to it.

In my own experience I recall one day soaring the ridge at Ed Levin (happens once in a while) and a bunch of PGs show up in the lift band. I ended up flying away from the only workable lift in the area simply because I did not know what to do. These days I would be able the lift band with them.
Alan

Return to General Discussion