Camera vs Wind report?

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Camera vs Wind report?

Postby flyingzippy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41 am

I'm relatively new to the area, but over the last 9 months I've checked the website regularly for winds. I felt the pictures of the windsock and the wind reports matched up (pretty darn close). I feel like since I got back from SB, the windsock and wind readings don't seem the same at all.

Am I the only one?

Did the delay on the cameras change, or is the anemometer out of adjustment? (I don't believe the windsock being a few feet higher could make that big a difference)
flyingzippy

Re: Camera vs Wind report?

Postby diev » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

I think the difference comes from the smaller wind sock...full at 8mph and not 15 like the old one???
Not sure though...
Diev
diev

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:15 pm

Are you noticing difference in direction, or velocity, or both?

The wind sock does sit in front of a gap in the bushes. I believe the wind can funnel through the gap and effect the wind sock. Perhaps a couple of feet higher could make just enough difference?

On the other end, I recall someone saying that the anemometers weather vane is out of adjustment by some degrees. This would throw the indicated direction off.
One of these days we should climb the tower and calibrate it!
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby fakeDecoy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:58 pm

It does look a little off. The windsock cam is showing NW, and the wind graph switched SW half an hour ago. I don't know what reality is. Maybe it's really blowing East.

Dave
fakeDecoy

Return to General Discussion