Spare parts and tools

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Spare parts and tools

Postby tom rust » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:15 am

I'd like to suggest some new utilties for Club Members. Taking a cue from Tim's generous help over the holidays in getting some tools we now have for working on the wind sock, I propose we add some tools and commonly used spare parts to an inventory we keep in the clubhouse. I have several downtubes I will donate to get things started.

Proposed list of spare parts:
Downtubes for most common gliders, faired and round
Tip wands
Batten string (various sizes)
Batten snap fixtures
Common bolts and nuts

Tools:
Wrenches
Screwdrivers
Pliers
Portable drill and drill bits

All together I'm thinking about $500 worth of parts and tools.
When a member uses a part, he will order and replace as soon as possible. If they don't do it by the end of the year, we add the cost on to his club house renewal.
Full disclosure - I had been borrowing a tip wand from Dave for like 6 months - my bad for not replacing it sooner, though only used once.
If other members have parts they could donate, so much the better.

Accidents happen and some basic maintenance items like batten string replacement should be done more frequently. Getting replacement parts can take weeks, and for most pilots who don't have a second glider, they're out of commission for that time. Many of us do keep spares but don't usually keep them with us (I don't drag my downtubes around - only on flying trips to the mountains).
I'd rather offer these spare parts so anywone can use them and get back in the air same day if they want to.
tom rust

Return to General Discussion