Re: BBQ and Air Races!

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:52 pm

The 2011 Dan Murphy Memorial BBQ and Fort Funston Air Races will be held on Saturday, August 20, 2011

The days schedule will depend on weather conditions, but we will try to start racing around noon and have food available sometime thereafter. The Fellow Feathers will provide BBQ and soft drinks, but your pot luck contributions are always appreciated!

Note: We could use a few more volunteers to help with race timing, registration, and Westlake turn-point monitoring. If you would like to lend a hand please contact Steve Rodrigues: srskypuppy at earthlink dot net Thank you!

The object of the Funston Air Race is to determine who can launch from Fort Funston, fly 2 miles south, round the Westlake turn-point, and return to launch in the shortest amount of time. This race is meant to be FUN above all else!

The entry donation is $20.00 and includes a Funston Air Race T-shirt, and the winner of each class will also receive a free Fellow Feathers club membership for 2012, a $65.00 value!
Hang gliders may free-fly all day, but during the two hour race window, only air race participants are allowed on course between launch and the Westlake turn point.

Air Race Air Race Basics:

All participants must possess a current USHPA card with minimum H-3 rating, a current Funston helmet sticker, and be at least 18 years of age.
Fellow Feathers membership forms and Funston stickers will be available at the registration table, please have your current USHPA card ready to show our registration staff.
Please have your entry forms filled out in advance as it will save time at the registration table. The rules and entry Form are here: http://flyfunston.org/2011%20Air%20 ... ackage.pdf

Your Funston sticker number is your race number. Participants must tape their sticker number to the undersurface of their wing so the race timers and turn point monitors can identify you. 1 1/2" blue painters masking tape works well for this. Please apply your sticker number to the under-surface of your glider before moving into the launch line. Note: Apply the sticker number, NOT the helmet sticker itself! Race organizers will not be held responsible for mistakes made due to inadequate or missing numbers.
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby sporty155 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:08 am

Very Cool.... Hope we get some nice Air like last year.

How about we start a Volunteer List here so we know who is signing up for what??

Im going to BBQ 25 lbs or so of TriTip, but Im going to cook it at home the morning of so it can be heated and served
when needed with less waiting around... I'll bring a small BBQ.

Also... If i remember right, last year we unanimously voted that Raffy gets to sit out this year and not help (even if you want to you cant)
since every year he goes to costco before the BBQ and shops for all the food and BS we need, its a stressfull job to do by yourself on a saturday morning.
Sucks to do that and then try and relax/fly/etc.... So, we need a couple people to take on that task for sure....

What Else??
sporty155

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:33 pm

OK, here's the list so far, PLEASE, let me know if I have anything wrong or missed you.

WE NEED ONE MORE TIMER FOR THIS TO WORK! (you will get to sit next to a cute French gal!) Also, a rover would be great, someone to fill in with Registration or Timing, wherever a fire needs to be put out. Can anyone else help out, please?

AIR RACES
Meet Organizer: Steve R.
Launch Director: Chief
Turn point monitor: Charlie N.
Registration: Van P. Note: Registration will open at 10:00 AM and close at 12 Noon.
Timers: Josiane and Sasha

BBQ
King: Rafie
Costco shopper: Tom R.
Griller: Rob J.
Donation Box: Pete W.
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:53 am

We have our second timer, now we need two card / folding tables, one for registration, the other for timing. Can anyone help with these?
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:41 pm

I've got the table handled but want to get an Assistant Launch Director to support Chief who just had open heart surgery but does not want to miss the races.
This job would entail keeping count of gliders on course, getting competitors on deck with a hang check and getting them launched to keep 3 gliders on course and the launch line moving up.
Any takers?
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby Jose » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:41 pm

I got it, Steve. Count me in to assist, Chief. -Jose
Jose

Return to General Discussion