Upcoming photo themes for the magazine

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Upcoming photo themes for the magazine

Postby Daniel Pifko » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:45 am

I received this email from C.J. (the editor) at the magazine after our photo clinic. Someone at the clinic asked what she was looking for in upcoming issues and this was her response. Please take this opportunity to get your HG photos published!!

Daniel

----------- from C.J. -----------

Hi, guys,

Thanks to all of you for giving up you Sunday to attend the photo seminar (at least it wasn't a gloriously flyable day...). I'm working with Rick the IT guy to get magazine-related material onto a page in the USHGA Web site, but until we get that finalized, here's the list of photo themes that we're proposing for the upcoming year. This list is totally fluid – if we don't have enough images to fit a theme, we pick another. If you have suggestions for other themes, please let me know and I'll add them. And of course if you have a great photo that doesn't seem to fit with any theme, send it anyway. If it's big and beautiful, we'll use it!

May: beaches
June: summery mts.
July: flowers (andy stocker)
August: desert?
Sept: kids
October: fall colors http://photos.sickinger.net/20021102_woodstock
November: famous pilots on old-time gliders/historical
December: snowy, not necessarily alpine - check Sickinger high rock photos
January: alpine snowy
February: misc. artwork, not photos -
March: urban flying sites
April: foolishness

"the good, the bad and the ugly" – an assortment of launches and landings
aerobatics
wing/ground handling
duds/dress/outfits/fashion police
transport vehicles
scenic windsocks
"first contact" – you and the locals after a great XC
"behind the shot" – camera mounts etc.

Image size requirements: We print at 300 pixels per inch, so a cover shot is 2700x3600 pixels (9x12"), a centerspread is 3600x5400 pixels (12x18"). To see how large a photo will print, divide its dimensions by 300 (900x1200 pixels prints at about 3x4").

Submission info: Put your images, and a text file with caption and credit info, into a file named for you: First_Last. Upload directions are currently at http://ushga.dyndns.org. USHGA's photo archivist is Thayer Hughes, [email protected] – contact him if you have questions.

I look forward to the flood of photos, both the new ones you'll be getting this season and some of your old (unpublished) favorites that you've dug up from your collections. Thanks again!

C.J.
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion