Beginner gliders

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Beginner gliders

Postby Josh » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:15 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm pretty much a complete beginner. I've dreamed about hang gliding since I was 5, and I've taken a one day lesson. For the first time this year I have the money to get the equipment and lessons.

Here's my question: I'm short on money and will be starting a family soon. Therefore, I don't know if I'll be able to get another glider after my first one for quite a while. I want to get a glider that will be good to learn on, but will also satisfy me once I'm a competent pilot. I was looking at the Wills Wing Falcon, but I'm unsure of how this will fly once I'm at an intermediate level. What are your thoughts on this? Is it possible to learn to fly on an intermediate level glider? Or is it a better idea to get a beginner glider and go that route? Will a beginner glider be able to handle well later on?

Thanks very much! Any information is greatly appreciated.
Josh

falcon

Postby diev » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:36 pm

Hey Josh,
I would say get a new falcon (either a 2 or 3) to learn on. If it's new you will be able to resell it for a pretty good price and get 3/4 of your $$ back to get your next glider. Your learning will be much easier and faster on a falcon, single surface type glider.
Or just get a used falcon (if you can find one) for cheap, learn on it and keep it as your "beach" glider...then you can spend your $$ on something you will keep like your harness....

now the ultimate would be to borrow a friends "beach" glider to learn on (you break you pay) and then spend all your $$ on what you want after you learn....

A small note.....it is better to learn on your glider than the schools (yours will always be set the way you want it) and it is usually a bit cheaper if you have your own equipment....but I think you know this and thats why you are here :-))......have fun and be safe.

The falcons will not fly in stronger winds and you will not be able to go very fast...both things you will want to do as you get better.....but still a fun glider for even a hang 4.
diev

Postby Josh » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:56 pm

thanks diev, much appreciated!

josh
Josh

Return to General Discussion