rain report on weather station

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

rain report on weather station

Postby fakeDecoy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:45 pm

The KCASANFR69 weather station is maintained by the govt, not us, right? It's my understanding that we have another station on the same pole just for the windtalker.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCASANFR69&wuSelect=PWS

I think something is up with the rainfall sensor. It hasn't been showing much, if any, rain during the past few rains.

Diver Dave
fakeDecoy

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm

As I recall, the weather stations humidity sensor kept going bad from all the salt, sand and mold build up. When if failed, it would take down the rest of the system with it.

We replaced the sensor multiple times but the design is just too vulnerable for a coastal environment. Sadly ironic that a weather station can't handle the environment, feel free to talk to Davis Instruments about this.

As a workaround, the humidity sensor was isolated from the airflow in order to protect the rest of the system and this is probably the reason that rainfall readings are not correct.
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Bird poop

Postby Daniel Pifko » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:12 pm

The rain sensor is part of the club's weather station unit. It's the big black cylinder on the pole with the 3 wind vanes. The top of the black unit is a funnel that leads through a small hole to the water sensor. That funnel often gets blocked by bird droppings, preventing any rain measurement. It's way down on the priority list for us to keep it going, but you're welcome to go up there with a pipe cleaner or equivalent.

The KCASANFR69 weather station is ours. The system in the clubhouse uploads all of our data to both wunderground.com and flyfunston.org every few minutes.

Thanks,
Daniel
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion