Funston pilots putting the club and site at risk

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Funston pilots putting the club and site at risk

Postby spork » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:27 am

There was an unfortunate set of incidents today at the coast. An HG pilot strafed PG pilots both in the air and on the ground at points south of the Westlake gap. There were in fact three pilots that I believe were intentionally intimidating, threatening, and/or putting PG pilots at risk. However, only one of those pilots was absolutely clearly aggressive and well outside of any reasonable safety guidelines.

That pilot was flying a white T2C with a red cocoon harness. I'm nearly certain it was Ward Carter - who I understand has a long history of this behavior. The first act of aggression of his that I observed today was a series of strafing runs on the "Walker's" launch at Mussel Rock. These runs were preceded by long steep dives bringing the glider to speeds of 80 to 100 mph. Several PG pilots were standing on launch, and some of them ducked at the last moment to avoid being struck by the glider. Whether any of us would have been hit had we not ducked, I can't say. But I have no doubt at all that we could have easily made contact by raising our hands.

This same sort of intimidation and recklessness was visited upon pilots standing at the "Tomcats" launch shortly thereafter. Again, some pilots ducked to avoid being struck. Ward had no way of knowing the identity or experience of the pilots he chose to endanger. One pilot that ducked was a P2 visiting from Australia. He was more than a little surprised that this is how we conduct ourselves in the U.S.

In addition to the strafing runs on pilots standing at launch, we were harassed and waked in the air. This is particularly evil since Ward can't know how a PG pilot might react to his aggression. If the pilot simply made an unexpected maneuver in an attempt to avoid being hit, that could result in the collision he hoped to avoid. I imagine most know of the incidents of intentional aggression by HG's against PG's at Point of the Mountain, and that at least one fatality resulted (in this case the fatality was that of the aggressive pilot).

As I mentioned, there were two other HG pilots that I believe were trying to intimidate PG pilots today - in fact I have very little doubt that was their intention. But only one was so grossly negligent and aggressive that I am not able to look the other way. As I mentioned, I'm pretty certain that pilot was Ward Carter.

Last year one-legged Brad played this game with me on the low cliffs between Westlake and the Stables. Ultimately he took a head on pass at me and went beneath me with less than 2 feet of clearance. Had I attempted an evasive maneuver, I believe we would have collided. I did not escalate that incident to the rangers, the police, the FAA, or USHPA. I did not even make a formal complaint with the club.

But I'm told the club does not condone this sort of aggressive behavior or the notion of pilots settling their differences in the air. Sadly, it seems this policy is not applied equally. Again, I am willing to avoid escalation because I do not want to see the site jeopardized - but ONLY if the club chooses to take action and discipline this pilot in a meaningful way. I will not be threatened and endangered by such people. If the club does not choose to demonstrate that such actions are unacceptable I will address the matter of this pilot's actions to the authorities outlined above.

There are photos and plenty of witnesses - including currently active Funston pilots.

On a related note, USHPA just announced an increase in our annual dues. This increase is a direct result of the increasing cost of insurance, and that is a direct result of incidents. Every USHPA pilot in the U.S. has pilots like Ward Carter to thank for their increased dues.

I plan to approach this with the guarded optimism that the newly elected FF leaders will take seriously issues that threaten the safety of any person (pilot or not) and continued access at this site.

Rick Cavallaro
spork

Re: Funston pilots putting the club and site at risk

Postby spork » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:56 am

I just spoke to one of the other two pilots mentioned in my post above. I said above that I believe he was trying to intimidate, but that I couldn't be sure. He apologized for the misunderstanding - and I very much appreciate that. If not for the context of the other events going on at the same time, I doubt I would have taken his actions as being aggressive. The same is probably true of the third pilot in question.

As I said above, there was only one pilot that was *clearly* outside of the bounds and safety, and clearly being aggressive. That situation has to be dealt with, and I'd like it to be dealt with at the club level. I will avoid elevating this if possible.
spork

Postby spork » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm a little surprised that there has been no response to this thread and no response from the club. I'd much prefer to resolve this issue without involving agencies outside of the club, but it *will* be resolved. I have my own photos and several witnesses that have agreed to the account I've posted.

Here is a photo of Ward that shows he was clearly the pilot in question.

Next stop: Rangers, then USHPA, then...
Attachments
Ward.jpg
Ward.jpg (30.62 KiB) Viewed 28684 times
spork

Postby diev » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Why not resolve this issue with the individual?
I had noting to do with this but would be affected if you did something to the ff club.
Does that sound fair?

Diev
(not a club officer)
diev

Postby spork » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:28 pm

diev wrote:Why not resolve this issue with the individual?
I had noting to do with this but would be affected if you did something to the ff club.
Does that sound fair?

Diev
(not a club officer)

Diev,

I would be open to suggestions. I have no ability to directly ban Ward from Funston or pull his rating. Ward certainly has no interest in hearing anything I have to say, so that leaves me to follow the established channels. I hope you can agree that if the club claims not to tolerate such offenses it needs to demonstrate that. I've made my reports to the club. I have not approached the rangers, the FAA, or the police as I hope and expect the club will handle this. If you have a suggestion I'm all ears.

Thanks for your response.
Last edited by spork on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
spork

Postby flyin_canuck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 am

Contact the club safety officer, then see what they say

don't confuse posting a complaint on a bulletin board as the same as registering a complaint with the club officers themselves
flyin_canuck

Postby spork » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:08 am

flyin_canuck wrote:Contact the club safety officer, then see what they say

don't confuse posting a complaint on a bulletin board as the same as registering a complaint with the club officers themselves

I have been in contact with the club safety officer and other appropriate club members. Things are in process. Thanks for the advice.
spork

Postby ward » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:47 am

i have been in contact with the new club officers regarding the incident tue dec 11
that day in the afternoon was some of the best weather for flying in the recent months
the lift was smooth strong and nearly straight in at the dumps the lift down lo was exceptional
there was no malice in my intent i was simply having fun . i put no one at risk in the air or on the ground
ward

Postby spork » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:03 am

ward wrote:
i have been in contact with the new club officers regarding the incident tue dec 11
that day in the afternoon was some of the best weather for flying in the recent months
the lift was smooth strong and nearly straight in at the dumps the lift down lo was exceptional
there was no malice in my intent i was simply having fun . i put no one at risk in the air or on the ground

You broke Fellow Feathers rules, and federal laws. I imagine you didn't feel you were putting anyone at risk when you injured yourself badly some years ago. Your actions were CLEARLY malicious. This is not OK.
spork

Postby ward » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:45 pm

"its clear that some were uncomfortable with how close i came to them,and this may well be in part due to the fact they dont know me ,my skill level, or intentions .
flying is about having fun . I will Only play with those who are comfortable with it in the future. No harm was intended.
ward

Postby spork » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:59 pm

ward wrote:its clear that some were uncomfortable with how close i came to them,and this may well be in part due to the fact they dont know me ,my skill level, or intentions .
flying is about having fun . I will Only play with those who are comfortable with it in the future. No harm was intended.

Thank you. And thanks very much to Tracey Story. I'm sure most don't know how hard she worked with both of us for the benefit of the club and all involved.

Folks - we cannot settle differences in the air. The only way to settle issues is on the ground - through the proper channels. I hope everyone can accept that none of us has jurisdiction to control or police the airspace.
spork

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks to both you guys for coming together for a common cause: Flying!
The Pacific coast is a great place to be in the air, even more so when everyone is being friendly and having fun. I'm looking forward to sharing the air with both of you.
Thanks to Tracey as well for acting as intermediary. 2013 is going to be a great year!
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion