Guns at Funston Alert

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Guns at Funston Alert

Postby Dan Brown » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:10 pm

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows those who legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in national parks including the GGNRA. California residents with a State of California concealed weapon permit may carry a concealed weapon.

Weapons may be possessed but not used. Weapons are prohibited in buildings. You can possess a firearm in Muir Woods but not in the gift shop.

For more information, see: http://www.nps.gov/goga/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm
Dan Brown

Postby Alan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:47 pm

So a glider mounted Gatling gun is OK? Good to know.
Alan

Freedom

Postby monte675 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 am

Invariably there are many people passing through the park carrying guns concealed whether they have a concealed carry license or not. By its definition, no one will see it.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Check out Sykes vs. Mcginnis, Nordyke vs King, and the big one they are on hold for Mcdonald vs Chicago. Gun control in the Golden State is dying!

I'm rooting for incorporation through the priveledges or immunities clause.

Monte
monte675

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:14 pm

I know this is on the verge of becoming off-topic, but here goes:

This law only widens the area that law abiding citizens can carry their gun. These citizens have been carrying guns everywhere they go, in grocery stores, resturants, walking down the street, everywhere you normally go every day. Has this been a problem? No, it has not, so just because they can now carry them in a park does not suddenly make them dangerous.

Since criminals don't observe the law anyway, this new law does not make them any more dangerous than they already are; They will carry a gun any time they want, wherever they want, law or no law.

Just my personal opinion, but if more law abiding citizens did carry a gun and were well trained on how to use it, many crimes would be stopped sooner or not take place to begin with.
Of course our country might look more like the wild west at times, but that does have a certain appeal over the current conditions where the defenseless and meek cower under the thumb of drug dealers and gangland thugs and are at the mercy of the mentally insane.

It is not easy to get a concealed weapons permit and I do not believe that law abiding citizens pose a real threat.
I recommend that folks just relax and not let this law upset them.
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

I fly and support CCW

Postby zelez » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 pm

I have a concealed weapons permit (unfortunately not CA . . . yet) and have been flying Funston for 20 years. I can tell you from experience that if i was a criminal, i would not bother with it -- just carry illegally. Finger printing, background check, etc that go with CCW licensing is extensive and the license will be pulled at the first case of illegal behavior.

Believe me, this law will not make a Dan Murphy style shooting more likely in the future . . .so don't worry about the CCW holders -- some of them are us). worry about the criminal and the homicidal/suicidal nutjobs that and the law will never know about until they pull the trigger.
Mark Zeleznock
USHPA #57168
zelez

Postby Dan Brown » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:59 pm

A local sheriff or police chief “upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists” and that the person has completed a course of training may issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon. In 2007 40,296 permits were issued. 2,306 in sparsely populated Shasta County; 6 in San Francisco.

The permitting process has been criticized even by pro-gun advocates as inconsistent and biased with allegations that in some rural counties permits are granted because of political connections.
Dan Brown

Postby zelez » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:02 am

Dan, thats why we need "shall issue" in CA. Bay area counties are the WORST offender of political connections . . . .Sean Penn, Diane Feinstein are among a handful of holders, if you can believe it . . .and Penn has a criminal record! Hipocrisy.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php.html?t=20292
Mark Zeleznock
USHPA #57168
zelez

Return to General Discussion