Funston airspace rules

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Funston airspace rules

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:49 am

It has come to my attention that the current FF rules incorrectly describe FAA airspace restrictions above Fort Funston and Westlake, specifically class "B" airspace.

The current rule:
"1. ANY INTRUSION INTO CLASS B AIRSPACE JEOPARDIZES THE SITE AND WILL BE DEALT WITH MOST SERIOUSLY. Class B Airspace extends up to 2,100’ MSL from Ocean Beach, south past Fort Funston to the Westlake Gap, and up to 1,500’ MSL from the Westlake Gap south to Point San Pedro."

I've studied the SF TAC, please see attached, and written some corrected language. Please see three possible alternatives below.

The first alternative is simple and to the point, the second alternative has more detail, and the third incorporates the first two alternatives.

I'm going to propose that we change the rules to use one of these alternatives. Does anyone have a better idea or way of wording?

Thanks, see you tomorrow evening!
Steve

Alternative # 1:
“ANY INTRUSION INTO FAA Class “F” or “I” CONTROLLED AIRSPACE JEOPARDIZES THE SITE AND WILL BE DEALT WITH MOST SERIOUSLY. Pilots may not fly above 2,100’ when north of the Westlake Gap or above 1,500’ when south of the Westlake Gap."

Alternative # 2:
“ANY INTRUSION INTO FAA Class “F” or “I” CONTROLLED AIRSPACE JEOPARDIZES THE SITE AND WILL BE DEALT WITH MOST SERIOUSLY. Class “F” controlled airspace starts at the Westlake Gap and runs north to the intersection of the Great Highway and Noriega St, from 2,100’ MSL up to 10,000’. Class “I” controlled airspace starts at the Westlake Gap and runs south to Point San Pedro, from 1,500’ up to 10,000’."

Alternative # 3:
“ANY INTRUSION INTO FAA Class “F” or “I” CONTROLLED AIRSPACE JEOPARDIZES THE SITE AND WILL BE DEALT WITH MOST SERIOUSLY. Pilots may not fly above 2,100’ when north of the Westlake Gap or above 1,500’ when south of the Westlake Gap. Class “F” controlled airspace starts at the Westlake Gap and runs north to the intersection of the Great Highway and Noriega St, from 2,100’ MSL up to 10,000’. Class “I” controlled airspace starts at the Westlake Gap and runs south to Point San Pedro, from 1,500’ up to 10,000’."
Attachments
TAC Fort Funston to Pacifica.jpg
TAC Fort Funston to Pacifica.jpg (221.44 KiB) Viewed 6424 times
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Re: Funston airspace rules

Postby docd » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi Steve,

I think that the "class I" airspace refers to a sector of the Class b airspace of SFO.

it might be easier to say that " pilots must stay out of class b airspace. This extends down to 2100' north of the Westlake gap and down to 1500 feet south of the gap. pilots planning flight in shear conditions should study the airspace maps for further details. "

north of Noriega St class b airspace extends down to 3000' and south of Pt San Pedro, the class b airspace extends down to 2100'. That is probably too much detail for the rules.

Darrel
docd

Re: Funston airspace rules

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:48 am

This is what we settled on:

"ANY INTRUSION INTO FAA Class "B" CONTROLLED AIRSPACE JEOPARDIZES THE SITE AND WILL BE DEALT WITH MOST SERIOUSLY. Pilots may not fly above 2,100' when north of the Westlake Gap or above 1,500' when south of the Westlake Gap. Pilots should refer to the SFO Terminal Area Chart for details. "
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion