Noob Question

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Noob Question

Postby amouramis » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm just getting into hang gliding (learning everyday!! ) an I don't have a glider or the big $$$ for it, but I found some hang gliders for sale and they have 1 advanced one for $1300 and the novice ones for $1100. Assuming I'm a fast learner and use the training hill instead of tandems to learn which one should I spend my hard earned whole pay check on? What's the rating scale for how 'difficult' a glider is establish from? What's the difference between the gliders shown for sale? (ginormous link below)

http://store.kittyhawk.com/listItems.as ... earch=Link

PS
I'm an idiot and didn't realize you guys are on the other coast. Fast physical learner, not the brain type.
amouramis

glider to buy

Postby cliffblack » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:24 am

buy the $1100 Falcon and get some wheels, hire an instructor and practice! good luck
Tom
cliffblack

Postby Steve Urbach » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:06 am

Cliff Black is right on.
Get the 1100 glider (have it inspected by a knowledgeable 3rd party if not from a HG shop).

Performance gliders only look easy to fly.
Their pilots have dialed in the exact touch needed for that model

It is easy (and very scary) to over control a new glider.
Any new glider.
Beginner gliders are more forgiving of a "heavy hand" and should serve you through H2 or H3.
Steve Urbach

Postby Alan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 am

Before you spring for the Falcon, check to make sure you are in the right weight range. The one on that web page is a 140 (the number means the number of square feet of sail area) which is good for someone up to about 150 pounds (I think -- the 140 isn't made anymore). You don't want too small a glider -- you will never get off the ground!

Also budget for a harness and helmet.
Alan

Postby amouramis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:06 am

That last one is especially good to know. I would have wasted money and been pissed! I weigh 180 so I'll look for something else. Thanks!
amouramis

Postby cliffblack » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:17 pm

$1300 for a Wills Wing AT is insane, they are giving them away here, a pristine one "Might " get sold for $200 max! forget the AT it's way OLD! You would be much better off with a euro sport or super sport 158
Tom
cliffblack

Return to General Discussion