Face Book vs. Flyfunston

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Face Book vs. Flyfunston

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Posting club business on multiple web sites is going to create a problem.

www.facebook.com/groups/FortFunstonFellowFeathers/ is great for sharing photos, videos, and flying stories, but if we get important discussion threads going at different web locations, it is going to lead to confusion. Unless a person goes to every thread to duplicate their comments, some threads will be fragmented or incomplete and people will miss important stuff!

How about if we post club related business ONLY on flyfunston.org, then post the LINK to that post on our various social media pages? That way everyone can learn about a discussion but only have to follow one thread. All comments and discussion will be in one place!

Does this suggestion make sense and work for everyone?
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Re: Face Book vs. Flyfunston

Postby diev » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:24 pm

sounds good to me
Diev
diev

Postby jv-joe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 am

I agree, Facebook funston is more of a pics/flicks kinda thing
jv-joe

Postby bobk » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Steve Rodrigues wrote:Posting club business on multiple web sites is going to create a problem.
How about if we post club related business ONLY on flyfunston.org, then post the LINK to that post on our various social media pages? That way everyone can learn about a discussion but only have to follow one thread. All comments and discussion will be in one place!

Does this suggestion make sense and work for everyone?

I think this is very wise. In addition to keeping the information in one place, there is the huge problem of ownership.

Remember that anything you post to most social media sites becomes THEIR PROPERTY. Most people don't think about the ramifications of that when they're just socializing, but a club like Fellow Feathers should always work to maintain both control and ownership of their information. If a site (like Facebook) is willing to make agreements guaranteeing control and ownership of the information, then that might mitigate the problem. But in general, I think it's wise for organizations (like Fellow Feathers) to own and control their own information.

My 2 cents ....
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
bobk

Return to General Discussion