Safety Announcement: Clearing pedestrians on launch

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Safety Announcement: Clearing pedestrians on launch

Postby fakeDecoy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:16 am

We had a good discussion at last night's club meeting about the need for pilots to clear pedestrians away from the launch area to back behind the cones when you are launching.

We don't want any pedestrians getting hurt from a blown launch. Blown launches are concentrated on the wood chip area and the front of the bush. Those are the high risk areas. A pedestrian standing against the bush between the dugout and cliff is not in a good position.

Please make it clear to pedestrians that you are not allowed to launch if they are standing in this area. Photographers and family members count too, even if they are standing among pilots, and they need to be treated the same as other pedestrians. If a pedestrian has signed the temporary 30-day waiver that instructors carry, that may be okay. We did that in the past, and I think a couple members are looking into that again to make sure it will work as a good waiver to protect the club, park and USHPA.

We do have a club rule, rule #2, to enforce clearing pedestrians from launch. A pilot is in violation if he launches with a pedestrian within 25ft, but the launch area delineated by the cones is larger than that, and I will be issuing a 1 week suspension if a pedestrian is too close. A couple weeks ago another club officer suspended himself and another pilot for violating this rule.

Let me be frank. Most of us have violated this rule. If we were to issue suspensions every time a pedestrian steps past the cone before a pilot launches, the bodies would pile up quickly, and it wouldn't really stop the issue. What we need is everyone to help out whenever you see a pedestrian in the area while a pilot is launching. Even if other pilots standing around appear to be okay with it, and even if the pedestrian is the wife of a pilot, please pull up your britches and be the one to step up anyway and politely inform the person that the pilot is not allowed to launch until the area is clear of anyone who isn't a pilot. Sometimes other pilots present don't know everyone and aren't sure who is a pilot, so everyone who does know has the responsibility to help.

Maybe we can come up with a modified solution if herding pedestrians away from launch ends up being too much work or a losing battle. Members have suggested flashing lights, signs, a launch director, and shock collars.

Diver Dave
Safety Director
fakeDecoy

Re: Safety Announcement: Clearing pedestrians on launch

Postby charlie nelson » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:07 am

Dave , it's a sticky wicket. Spec-taters have responded well when told ' i can't launch with you there' , if i smile and shrug. I 've always been able to herd them away . but sometimes, when the spectators are mixed into a group of pilots , as you say , i've probably violated the rule too. If we don't seem mad or in a hurry , and smile and look at them , just stare straight at them and wave your hand ....they start to move. keep your eyes on them as they stop . often they'll test you with a five or ten foot move. they hope you'll turn away from them and launch. just smile more broadly and wait . appear patient . they need to move a hundred feet usually. and the groups can be large , five people , the whole family sometimes. breaks my heart , they re---eally want to see us up close . not in this Park bruddah. then change your entire mind set to flying once the people are behind the cones. it's a special funston flying skill .
email me at 'chahlieandkathy at yahoo dotto com'
charlie nelson

Return to General Discussion