Hull Mountain...June 2nd, 1979

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Hull Mountain...June 2nd, 1979

Postby crvalley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:07 pm

At the last club meeting, Chuck Kranz was talking about a Hull Mountain article / flight report written by Wayne Ashby titled, "A Flying Experience" (with photographs by Tom Jensen) published in the November 1979 HG magazine...

Chuck knew the article was published in late 1979, so I looked it up in the HG magazine DVD archives...It took a while to find but I found the article and it is a good read for those who have the DVD HG magazine collection...look in the disk that has the 1979 magazines listed and you'll find the article in the November issue...this is very good rainy day reading and in my opinion should count toward airtime... :lol:

Chuck had a lot to say about the flight that night at our last meeting. The article, in Wayne's words, really tells the story well, too. The pilots mentioned in the article are Chuck, Tom Jensen, Rob Murray, Joel DeWitt, and Wayne Ashby, the author.

The article mentions the pilots all reached nearly 14,000' in very cold 28 degree air with Wayne having to spiral himself down to warmer air to feel his extremities again...Wayne had launched in a short sleeved shirt since it was 95 degrees at launch that day.

Reading articles like this is a great history lesson and a look back at our sport. It is also fun to look at the advertising for various gliders sold during that time, too...Tom and Chuck were flying Olympus 160's. Rob and Joel were flying Fledglings, and Wayne was on a 10 meter Seagull.

I'll bring a few copies of this article to the next meeting...

~Chris
crvalley

Return to General Discussion