glider space.....

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

glider space.....

Postby diev » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:33 am

If I only had one I would be able to jet up there, grab my wing and get in the air RIGHT NOW b4 the rain...but NO I have to sit here and work and WISH someones would take home some gliders and let a couple spaces open up....(PLEASE).................so sad, as the one place in the bayarea in doable RIGHT NOW and I have to sit here knowing half those gliders just sit there every month while some of us could/would fly every week if the wind would work :-(((
diev
Last edited by diev on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diev

Re: glider space.....somday

Postby Gw. » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:39 pm

motion seconded...

diev wrote:If I only had one I would be able to jet up there, grab my wing and get in the air RIGHT NOW b4 the rain...but NO I have to sit here and work and WISH someones would take home some gliders and let a couple spaces open up....(PLEASE).................so sad, as the one place in the bayarea in doable RIGHT NOW and I have to sit here knowing half those gliders just sit there every month while some of us could/would fly every week if the wind would work :-(((
diev
Gw.

Clubhouse rules change - passed Oct 10 2006

Postby Daniel Pifko » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:41 pm

Hey guys,

We've been discussing exactly this for a few years. There are several steps that had to be taken to get where we want to be:

1. Organize the clubhouse records so we know who is in there, who has/hasn't paid, who is on the waiting list, and so forth. Jonas Barbour and Chris Valley (clubhouse guys for the last 3 years) now have all memberships in a spreadsheet and the renewal process is more regular than in the past.

2. Remove gliders from non-paying members - done, 2 years ago

3. Remove gliders from clearly non-flying members, e.g. ones that live out of state - done, in the last 2 years

4. Organize and identify abandoned or unused gliders. Have pilots remove those gliders or sell them off - done, with an auction just a couple of months ago

The next step is to identify pilots who don't fly at Funston regularly. We discussed this back and forth over many meetings. At the October 10, 2006 meeting we adjusted the Clubhouse rules to only allow "active" members to store gliders, where "active" is defined as "a pilot who flies at Fort Funston at least 3 times per calendar year." (quoted from the new Clubhouse rules).

This change applies to the 2007 calendar year. By the end of 2007, at the latest, the board will be justified in asking inactive pilots to remove their gliders.

All in all I believe we've had 10-ish spots turn over in the last 2 years. With this new rule in place I imagine we'll get a handful more.

Beyond that - well, we need to build an addition on the clubhouse! ;-)

Daniel
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

Postby crvalley » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:46 am

The first step is for those who no longer fly to step up to the plate and kindly give up their spot...that has happened with a few individuals who recognize the importance of opening up a space for those who fly the Fort regularly, and I've assigned the available spot(s) to those on the waiting list as this has occurred. I've also approached these people and have been having luck in obtaining additional spots for those in need...

We have a few pilots on the waiting list as I type. Some of these people fly the Fort regularly, some do not. I assign glider spaces to those who are on the waiting list AND fly the Fort on a regulary basis, not those who have simply been on the waiting list the longest...

Is that fair? Yes. It is fair to those who really need a glider space and fly the Fort regularly...

The funny thing about Diev's post is that a glider spot opened up and Diev now has a spot in the clubhouse! :D How timely...you're welcome Diev!

As Daniel mentioned, we now have more of a process to weed out those who fly vs. those who simply take up space at the clubhouse. Within time we'll have other glider spots available, and soon I believe.

Chris :twisted:
Clubhouse Guy
crvalley

Postby crvalley » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:32 pm

Here are the current people on the waiting list for a glider spot:

Danny Alexander
Mohammed (Don't have his last name right now)
Brian Foster
Gwaenal Jacq
Ian Darnel

When I first took over the role as clubhouse president, I was able to get the initial list of waiting pilots a spot in the clubhouse. The current list represents those who have told me in the last year or so that they'd like a spot...and, yes, they fly Funston regularly...some may actually live there! :lol:

It takes time to open up a spot in this club for glider storage. Our goal for 2007 is to open up more glider spaces by finding out who is flying regularly and who isn't...my comment about giving preference to pilots who fly regularly is not off the mark from the current policy the club has about who does or does not receive a glider spot...Diev is right, though, there are a lot of gliders simply being stored and collecting dust...these need to go and slowly they are going...

For the time being, the club is putting a hold on adding more people to the waiting list until the above-mentioned individuals receive a spot...

Happy Holidays!

Chris :D
Clubhouse Guy
crvalley

santa??

Postby diev » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:41 pm

wow, there must be a santa :-))

>where "active" is defined as "a pilot who flies at Fort Funston at least 3 times per calendar year." (quoted from the new Clubhouse rules).
This change applies to the 2007 calendar year. By the end of 2007, at the latest, the board will be justified in asking inactive pilots to remove their gliders.....

stoked I made it in :-))
diev
diev

Clubhouse Waiting List

Postby crvalley » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:32 pm

I butchered a few names on my prior listing of the clubhouse waiting list...here they are again...

Dan Rogers
Mohammed (still don't have his last name...)
Brian "Don't call me Tiger" Foster
Gwenhael Jacq
Ian Darnel

~Chris :twisted:
crvalley

Return to General Discussion