Site rating

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Site rating

Postby Arizona Tom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Is Funston absolutely a H3 site? I am a H2 and I have been flying Marshall and Crestline mostly (Andy Jackson flight park in San Bernardino) i have 85 flights and about 10 hours. I have flown other H3 sites with sponsors too. i fly a WW Eagle at present.
Can I fly there?
thanks.
Arizona Tom

Re: Site rating

Postby diev » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:01 am

Tom,
As a H2 you can not land back up on top, meaning you can launch, do one pass to the right (north) to the drain pipe, and then go south.....go as far south as you like (dumps...(but do not do this by yourself please)) and fly there but do not come back for a top landing at For Funston (or anywhere north of the bowl)...go land on the beach (after hours of flying down at the dumps).....then hike it up and do it again.....

What are you missing for your H3?
Diev
diev

Postby Jose » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:35 am

Here's the H2 FF rules:

10. All H-2 flights shall be supervised by a Sponsor approved by a majority of the Executive Committee. On their first four (4) flights, an H-2 must glide directly to the beach without attempting to soar. On subsequent flights, H-2’s may soar only if approved to do so by their Sponsor.
a) All H-2 flights, from launch to landing, shall be under direct supervision of their Sponsor.
b) H-2 pilots shall be limited to smooth winds of 15 mph or less, and gusty winds of 10 mph or less. Wind shall not be more than 15 degrees cross.
c) H-2's may fly only as far north as the drain pipe just north of launch, and only as far south as the south end of the training bowl below the golf course.
d) H-2’s must land on the beach. (No top landings).
e) H-2's must fly a bright colored 6’ streamer from their kingpost.
f) If an H-2 violates any Fellow Feathers rule during their sponsored flight, their Sponsor shall be subject to the same suspension.
g) Only one H-2 may be in the air at any one time. H-2 flights shall be limited to 30 minutes if another H-2 pilot is waiting to launch.

http://flyfunston.org/documents/FF%20Rules%20rev%203-8-2011.pdf
Jose

Postby Arizona Tom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for yur replies. I will certainly observe all the rules. and ask for a sponsor when i come out.
Diev, i don't have enough airtime for a H3 yet, probably go for it next year.
Jose, thanks for posting the rules.
Arizona Tom

Postby diev » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:39 pm

yeah, what Jose said.....
I was thinking of something else....flying the unregulated dumps to get your hours....in the right conditions, with the right mentor(s)...at the correct times...etc. etc...sorry my bad.
Diev
diev

Postby Steve Urbach » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:21 pm

diev wrote:Tom,
As a H2 you can not land back up on top, meaning you can launch, do one pass to the right (north) to the drain pipe, and then go south.....go as far south as you like (dumps...(but do not do this by yourself please)) and fly there but do not come back for a top landing at For Funston (or anywhere north of the bowl)...go land on the beach (after hours of flying down at the dumps).....then hike it up and do it again.....

What are you missing for your H3?
Diev

A Funston launched H2 is now allowed to fly in Westlake airspace as long as they go to the 'Dumps'?
Steve Urbach

Postby charlie nelson » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Good Ol' Tom will follow the rules and not go south of the bowl or north of the pipe . :lol:
Tom you can get a 1/2 hour or more each time you launch, if conditions are right . The carry up is not too hard.
and it's fun to land on the beach.
email me at 'chahlieandkathy at yahoo dotto com'
charlie nelson

Return to General Discussion