Keeping the Launch Area Clear

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Keeping the Launch Area Clear

Postby crvalley » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:16 am

Monday, Labor Day, we had another situation where a non-pilot / spectator refused to remove himself from the launch area after a pilot at launch made the request and two other pilots repeated the same request.

I recognized the spectator as I had to speak with him about 1 month prior to step behind the orange cones while another pilot was launching. He had the same attitude and asked if I was cop, etc.

His beef with this rule is that it is not posted, however there is no real area to post this rule. Even if it was posted, no one would read it anyway. He views this rule as an infringement on his right to use the park, as well.

So, in our rules posted on this website, under item #4 (Monitoring), you'll find where it states our responsibility to keep the launch area clear of spectators. The spectator in question on Monday (and one month prior) wanted to see where this rule was stated. I'll print a copy of the rules and have them in our gear bin by the picnic table. It seems as if this person actually needs to see the rule in writing for it to sink in. Being that this is the 2nd time he has taken a stand at launch with us, he may repeat this event again...I think with some educational efforts on our part aside from calling the Park Police, we can work this out.

Any thoughts?

~Chris
crvalley

Postby zippidy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:42 am

I think the problem is that the launch rules only apply to us, not to the spectators. In other words, there is no rule that prohibits a spectator from being on launch. The rule only prohibits us from launching while the spectator is there. It is an important distinction I think. So a printed copy of the rule may not help.

So, unfortunatley, I think he is right when he says he doesn't have to leave. But did you explain to him that if he wants to see a glider launch, it is not going to happen as long as he is out there?
Brian Foster
zippidy

Postby diev » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:00 am

I was going to add that a small, maybe 2ft high, sign where the cones meet the bush might work?? Then it would give us something to point at when this happened.....but yes, as Brian said, it's our problem.
Maybe someone has a picture of a blown launch and the results that we could show these people and keep it in the box.
The other option would be the waiver? Just keep a few in the box for these people that want to stay out there?
If the park would go for it I like the small sign idea (an official park sign) we would just have to put it out of our way...
just more thoughts
diev

Keeping launch Clear

Postby Urs » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:41 am

I have had this problem happen more than a few times. I asked about 3 or 4 times, blame it on the parks and insurance or state where they are standing is our favorite crash site. Sometimes they are tourist and don't understand english, so I use hand gestures. If they still don't move, I wait or back off of launch. Once off launch I mention that I will call the park police. I haven't had to yet, but will if I come across this individual. I'm not willing to deal with a crazy person for obvious reasons.
More paperwork for the club is not the answer for a few !@#% individuals.
Urs
Urs

Re: Keeping the Launch Area Clear

Postby Gw. » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:52 am

what about a flat plate on the ground such as those identifying trees in city parks ? it would be visible from the path and would not interfere with possible long landings.

the wording could be similar to the sign on the observation deck, such as "crashes have happened in the area. your presence interferes with pilots launching. please remove yourself from this area and move behind the cones any time a glider is on launch."

or something like that.

Gw.

crvalley wrote:Monday, Labor Day, we had another situation where a non-pilot / spectator refused to remove himself from the launch area after a pilot at launch made the request and two other pilots repeated the same request.
Gw.

keeping launch clear

Postby cliffblack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:02 am

Chris, I think just showing him item 4 as you initailly stated for our monitoring duties may work. good idea! Having some extra copies in the metal box is good. Tom Jensen
Tom
cliffblack

Postby Dan Brown » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:59 am

In view of recent events, if you call 911 reporting erratic, hostile, agressive behavior, there will be SF and Park Police at the Cliff w/n 5 minutes. Ask Larry.

Apparently the dog walkers for years had complained w/little success to the Park Police about the shooter. Now the Park Police are taking all complaints seriously.

Dan Brown
Dan Brown

Return to General Discussion