windsock

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

windsock

Postby cliffblack » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:53 pm

post is bent.. geez
Tom
cliffblack

Postby fakeDecoy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:19 pm

The next post will have to be the Pro model. Looks like we may have hit 53mph today. Is the bush still there?

DD
fakeDecoy

the post

Postby sporty155 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:55 pm

I have a 12' section of metal pipe (1 1/4 emt) that filled with cement & rebar would do the trick ?

Rob
sporty155

Flex like the willow

Postby Daniel Pifko » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:31 pm

How does the cement handle repeated flexing? The rebar sounds good.

There should be a new windsock in the clubhouse already. Not sure where or how many we have left, though.
Daniel Pifko
Site Admin

Postby sporty155 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:18 pm

The cement I would use Is a fiber bonded cement, (plasterized cement, roven woven fiberglass, acrylic hardener) this mix does not shrink and its good for 6k lbs (1.5"thick, 20days) that inside the 1 1/4 pipe with 3/4" rebar from top to bottom will be good for 100mph.

do you know how high the windsock is from the deck?

Im going to head out there thursday @ noon to do some other work on the front door.. I'll check out the windsock as well...

Rob
sporty155

wind sock

Postby cliffblack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:45 pm

Usually Steve does the wind sock repairs, one would need a key to lower the pole, it's in a locker in the clubhouse, I don't remember the combination or locker number. Basically the pole needs to be lowered, perhaps removed from the mounting bracket and bent back straight, there is a new windsock in the clubhouse that's useable (thanks Chris V) .

I'm not sure where we are on getting a larger windsock, We really need a bigger sock that inflates at a higher wind speed, The current one is sometimes refered to "premature" (indicates it's good when it's still marginal)
Tom
cliffblack

Postby crvalley » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:31 pm

I have four windsocks leftover from what I had ordered about 9 months ago...One sock was left in the clubhouse, but I'm not sure if that one is still available. I was going to return the four I have due to the complaints received about the sock showing conditions were soarable when infact they were not, but I'm not. We can live with them in my mind, or at least use them through the winter and spring...

With regard to filling the flag pole with concrete or whatever, that is a bad idea...that pole needs to be raised and lowered and is heavy enough as it is. If it got bent due to the recent winds, then lets simply replace it like for like...no concrete or rebar...bad idea.

So, if we need a replacement sock by the weekend, let me know and I'll leave what I have left on my front porch in San Mateo...someone from the club can pick them up and install a replacement. The sock should be attached with a combination of clothesline-type material threaded through the loopholes and sock frame and some zipties, too...not black tape like we've done in the past...I'll be heading to MN early tomorrow morning, if a windsock is needed, give me a call, at 650-863-1298.

Chris :D
crvalley

windsock

Postby cliffblack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Chris, There is a wind sock in the clubhouse, we are covered, thanks.
(It's against the left wall as you enter the clubhouse).
Tom
Tom
cliffblack

Postby fakeDecoy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:19 am

Windsock replaced. Pole bent back into shape too.

DD
fakeDecoy

Postby fakeDecoy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 am

But I did just have a thought. Would it be true that a smaller/shorter windsock produces more stress on the pole at high wind speeds?

DD
fakeDecoy

Postby sporty155 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:27 pm

Im gonna take a running stab at this one, (eyes closed of course)

Final answer... No

Smaller/shorter windsock will have less drag and therefore cause less pressure on said pole. wind speed! however clever it may be... needs a bigger object (windsock) to capture more wind/energy.. causing more force on your pole....

I know, Its tempting.... keep it clean you animals... Geeze...

RR

Do I get a free FF t-shirt for a correct answer? :?
sporty155

Postby crvalley » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:47 pm

Excellent job on the windsock, guys...you even got it to point the right direction!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FrUs4szD8aY/StycFgm6xJI/AAAAAAAACRs/NcKj4p6QwkM/s1600-h/IMG_5158.jpg
crvalley

wind sock

Postby cliffblack » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Timmy and I noticed, the wind sock pole was straightened out after the last wind storm, the metal pole had "work hardened" in an area just above the angled iron cradle. That area is slightly more brittle now and therefore more susptable to break the next time we have a high wind. (wear yo helmet dude). Also, I'll be ordering bigger (lower speed) windsocks and the pole will have a little more force on it. The altitude of the pole is just right.

Perhaps we need another exact replacement pole as a spare? Am I worrying to much? Steve any thoughts? Other thoughts? anyone?

cheers
Tom
cliffblack

Postby crvalley » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Tom,

I don't think you're worrying too much at all...the area of the pole that has been work hardened or bent back could be a location of failure in the future with repeated high winds bending that pole again. Repeated back and forth forces on the pole aren't much different than if one takes a piece of wire and bends it back and forth...ultimately it'll break. Combine that with the corrosive salt air and there you go.

I think we should replace the existing pole with a single piece unit that extends up to the current height...piece of mind if anything else.

Chris
crvalley

Postby diev » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:57 pm

crvalley wrote:Tom,

I don't think you're worrying too much at all...the area of the pole that has been work hardened or bent back could be a location of failure in the future.....
Chris

Like tomorrow......we will see when the sun comes up what is left.....or rather after 1pm(ish) tomorrow....
d
diev

Return to General Discussion