Wireless Camera - Solar/Battery Powered Pole Mount Systems

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Wireless Camera - Solar/Battery Powered Pole Mount Systems

Postby Frontman » Sat May 22, 2010 11:37 am

Hey, just a thought, it would be cool to have a camera mounted on the wind sock pole. Here's some cool stuff I sell/install. I can get it at cost too. Fixed or PTZ.

http://www.sunsurveillance.com/products.html

Gary
My day jobs- Cellular and Video Surveillance.
Frontman

Re: Wireless Camera - Solar/Battery Powered Pole Mount Syste

Postby flyfun2 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Frontman wrote:Hey, just a thought, it would be cool to have a camera mounted on the wind sock pole. Here's some cool stuff I sell/install. I can get it at cost too. Fixed or PTZ.

http://www.sunsurveillance.com/products.html

Gary

Two views I would find helpful but was unable to complete with the last rev of the webcam setup were from the observation deck directly towards Westlake and directly towards Mt. Tam. They'd be fun and, potentially, informative.

We have wi-fi in the clubhouse and could rig a Yagi antenna. Would you recommend that or a cell modem? We're already paying a fixed monthly cost - it'd be a shame to waste it. On the other hand, getting wi-fi that distance, through the fog, to a station on a wind-facing tower would have its challenges. It might be easier if we had a more rigid, truly vertical, windsock pole.

You can talk with the current executives about any friends and family discounts. ;-)

Daniel
flyfun2
Site Admin

Postby flyfun2 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:42 pm

A couple more thoughts:

- The resolution on these cameras isn't fantastic - maybe .38 megapixels, if I'm reading it right. We need better resolution than that for our purpose. The cam in the clubhouse is 7MP. Do they have a higher res version?

- I have to say, the IQEye cam we have in the Ropes building (the view of the setup area only) has been totally headache free. It's not as good a resolution as the one in the clubhouse, but it's pretty reasonable (1024x768, maybe?) an it being in a harder-to-reach spot means uptime is crucial. We don't want to have to go out there once a month or so just to reset the thing. In the two years it's been in, it hasn't gone down once. BTW, it was graciously donated, completely gratis, by a pilot down in SoCal. What a guy!

Daniel
flyfun2
Site Admin

Frontman

Postby cliffblack » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi Frontman, you could donate the set up to FF and get an ad on right side of the home page? You could get above MSC. Just a thought.
Tom
cliffblack

Return to General Discussion