Newbie looking to fly this weekend

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Newbie looking to fly this weekend

Postby craigstanley » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Will anybody be around this weekend so I can buy a sticker and take a flight. I'm a H3 that just moved to the area, and would love to get some pointers from a local.

Looking at the tides it seems it would be best to launch in the evening sometime. What is the best way to predict winds at this site?

-Craig
craigstanley

Postby Alan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Make sure you read everything here: http://flyfunston.org/site.php.html

There are forms to download and sign and bring.

Look at the webcam to see if anyone is set up -- if there are more than a few gliders there then it is flyable. If it is flyable it is almost certain that there is a club officer available on site, but it wouldn't hurt to e-mail first.
Alan

Postby fakeDecoy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:06 am

For your first flight watch the weather graph on the webcam page for W to SW wind, with the red line solidly above 10mph. There are several other good ways to help forecast over the next few days, but to start with it's easiest just to go out there when it's already good.

You get the lemming effect with the webcam. It's not uncommon to see 15 gliders set up in non soarable conditions. But sometimes you can catch a shot of a glider soaring.

DD
fakeDecoy

cam/weather

Postby craigstanley » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:37 am

looks like weak wind out of the south right now . . . with one optimistic person set up
craigstanley

Postby crvalley » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Craig,

Tomorrow is looking (I think) better than today. Give it a shot. I can meet you there for a site intro if you'd like, say around 10:30 or 11. Make sure you have your USHPA card and we'll get you going.

Chris
650-863-1298
crvalley

intro

Postby craigstanley » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:27 am

Thanks Chris. It looks like people got fogged in today as well. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

My wife is sick so I'm not sure what time I will make it out there (if at all), but I'll be sure to give you a ring when I arrive. Perhaps I will make it there on time, but don't wait on the ground for me!

-Craig
craigstanley

Postby crvalley » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:28 am

If you get there, you get there...I'll probably be running a little late today, so give me a call if you decide to go out. Otherwise, take care of your wife.

Chris 8)
crvalley

Return to General Discussion