Fountain Relocation Project

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:26 pm

The project goal as discussed at past club meetings: To reduce the interaction of dogs and pedestrians with hang gliders by moving the drinking fountain and dog water station 200’ north from its existing location to the NW corner of the main parking lot.

For those who have missed the recent discussions, please see below for today’s update that I sent to the FF Board.
The Fellow Feathers will complete all construction through volunteer work. Please contact me off-line if you can help with trench digging, PVC pipe installation, or general help with the construction or traffic control.
Thanks!
Steve R.

“3-2-2011
Hi guys,
I met with GGNRA maintenance ranger Pat Kocer today at Fort Funston.
We confirmed the location of the water main shut off valve but discovered that the valve access is blocked with sand. Pat is going to clear it out and also track down the big T-wrench we need for shutting it off.
Access to this valve will now eliminate the water valve at the old fountain location so I modified our relocation proposal to the GGNRA, please see attached. The project is supported by GGNRA so hopefully it should not take too long for approval.
Once the proposal is approved we can coordinate the start day of our construction with Pat to get use of the T-wrench.
Tom, were you able to get any volunteers at the last club meeting to help with trench digging and other needs?
Steve”
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Re: Fountain Relocation Project

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:42 am

BTW, The Fountain Relocation Proposal I wrote for the GGNRA is quite detailed in its description of the phases of construction and could be of interest to anyone wanting to volunteer with the move.

The proposal contains personal contact info and license numbers (required by the GGNRA) so it will not be available online or to the general public.

It is available to Voting Members of the Fellow Feathers and I’ll bring a hard copy to the next meeting if anyone would like to check it out.

We will be digging and backfilling a 200’ long trench so please consider lending a hand. Dates to be announced!
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby charlie nelson » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 pm

I'd be honored to help out . Digging in sand is a pleasure .
email me at 'chahlieandkathy at yahoo dotto com'
charlie nelson

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks Charlie, Vann has also been quick to volunteer.

It will be great to have a list of volunteers who can help and if they can bring a shovel.

Who else would like to join the work party?
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby diev » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:39 pm

I love back breaking work, count me in.....and I can bring a couple shovels...
Diev
diev

Postby sporty155 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Count me in, I have other fun things to do to the clubhouse soon :)

Ciao~

Rob
sporty155

Postby docd » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi,

I'd like to help, depending upon the dates.

Darrel
docd

Postby crvalley » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Bump... :D
“We abuse land because we see it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” ― Aldo Leopold
crvalley

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:55 am

The GGNRA has accepted our proposal and now we only need to provide a Certificate of Liability from our licensed contractor.
I'm waiting for that document, and once received, can schedule a work party!
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:10 pm

We got the 200' of water line in today! All I have left to do is meet with the inspector on Wednesday and make the final connection. Thanks to everyone who chipped in. Lots of guys stopped for a short time, too many to list, (and I didn't get all the names) The main players besides myself were Ward who burrowed the pipe under the boardwalk and his equipment operator Ben who dug the trench, Eric H. who got materials at contractor price, Diver Dave, Charlie N. and Larry C. Thanks to everyone who lent a hand!

I plumbed the water line so we could leave the old fountain working until a time when we can move it in one day. Hopefully that day will be within the next one or two weeks. We will need another volunteer team to do that work so please keep watching this thread for a date when you can lend a hand.

Thanks!
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:07 pm

It's been cold and damp at the Fort since I set the new fountain in place, but if the concrete is hard enough I will activate it tomorrow evening!

I plan on removing the old fountain early next week and some park visitors might not know where to go for water. Would everyone please keep an eye out for people looking for the fountain and point them in the right direction? Thanks!

If anyone asks why the old one was removed: The new fountain meets requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and creates more room for all park visitors.

Back story details: The old fountain was falling apart and leaking, was handicap prohibitive, and its location created a conflict between dogs and hang gliders.

Cheers!
Steve
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Postby charlie nelson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:36 pm

update: the old fountain is gone , bless its wooden soul . and the new one is a shining tribute to Fellow Feathers' hope to reduce friction and increase cooperation between the two main user groups at funston , dog walkers and HG pilots.
the dogs have as much fun at Funston as the pilots.
If dogs could talk and drink , we'd all meet for a beer each evening to swap stories and wag tails.

her's hoping the dog walkers get one tenth as much enjoyment.

anyone have comments about the new fountain location?

I think it's working well to separate the slobber from the dacron.

thanks to the many who helped to get this job done.
also to Fellow Feathers for funding it very conservatively.
it is a benefit to the handicapped people who visit the Fort.
email me at 'chahlieandkathy at yahoo dotto com'
charlie nelson

Postby hbittner » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:08 pm

NIcely said Charlie! Woof !

Thanks to Steve and everyone for making this happen.

Henry
hbittner

Return to General Discussion