New to Funston - looking for a mentor Aug 19-21

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

New to Funston - looking for a mentor Aug 19-21

Postby msoultan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:37 pm

Hey Everyone,
I'm really interested in flying at Funston and I wanted to find someone that would be willing to give me the rundown for flying at the site. I live down in Long Beach (SoCal) and I've been flying primarily at Dockweiler and Kagel. I've done a bit of soaring at Dockweiler and I love it, but if you've ever come down there to fly, you probably know that it isn't soarable very often unless you're 100lbs and flying the condor.... and plus, I was still somewhat new to the sport so my instructor was hesitant to let me soar when the wind was blowing. Otherwise, most of my soaring has been at Kagel and just recently I flew Marshall (Crestline) for the first time and had an awesome time there. I've spent hours next to the ridge at Kagel and am comfortable flying near terrain, obviously keeping a safe distance based on the conditions.

I am currently an H2, but I will have my H3 next weekend after having a launch observed and demonstrating that I can fly into a headwind. I have a Falcon 3 195 and it is in great condition. I have about 250 flights at Dockweiler and 40 off the mountain (Kagel and Marshal). I figured I'd post this up as it might give a little insight as to my level of experience:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... E&hl=en_US

Since my parents live up in Belmont, I thought I'd cruise on up to visit them and then also check out Funston on Aug 19-21. I'm hoping the conditions are soarable because it looks like such a fun site to fly.

So yeah, that's my story. I looked at the contact page and none of the mentors listed have email contact information (on the contact page) other than their phone numbers, so I figured I'd try posting a message up here first. I've already read through all the rules and the flying site guide and I'm happy to read and gather up any more information. I'd appreciate if someone would be willing to be a mentor for my first flight at the fort!

Thanks!
Mike
msoultan

Re: New to Funston - looking for a mentor Aug 19-21

Postby fakeDecoy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:28 am

It should be still good if the current weather pattern holds up. Just show up and someone will be there to give you a site intro if it's a soarable day.

Dave
fakeDecoy

Postby msoultan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:30 am

Hey Dave,
What are the typical winds for this time of the year?

I will also take care of the helmet sticker before I head up.

thanks!
Mike
msoultan

Postby fakeDecoy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:43 am

Actually I don't know if we're doing mail-in stickers for first-time pilots anymore, because we want to make sure everyone gets a site intro from an experienced Funston pilot. But you can bring the form to save time.

This time of year it can be soarable sunup to sundown.
fakeDecoy

Postby msoultan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:23 am

Sweeeeet! I'm super excited!

Well, I'm off to Kagel right now - it's supposed to be soarable 5000+!

have a great day!
Mike
msoultan

Postby Steve Rodrigues » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Mike,
If I'm not back to work by then I'd be happy to mentor you.
Send me an email: srskypuppy at earthlink dot net
Steve
USHPA # 30605
H-5, Mentor and Observer
Steve Rodrigues
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion