Wallaby Ranch

Talk about Hang Gliding at Ft Funston and the Fellow Feathers Club.

Wallaby Ranch

Postby charlie nelson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Van P and I did a Wallaby tag team. Neither of us got much air time. I flew the Ranch Feb 25 ..and got an extended sledder, breaking a weak link at 2100 . One pm conditions were soarable but turbulent on tow. My arms were completely tired out due to the heavy bar pressure towing a rental Sport 2 from the carabiner. should have pulled on more VG . oh well , it was fun. took a ground school from Mike Barber on March 8 ...he counseled me not to fly the windy conditions that day. Then Van arrived March 9 and the wind was gusting to 25.. unflyable and a windy forecast all this week. Van is waiting patiently and hopefully it will back off for some fabulous Spring Wallaby jumping jack action.
go Van , rack the Ranch :P
email me at 'chahlieandkathy at yahoo dotto com'
charlie nelson

Re: Wallaby Ranch

Postby crvalley » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Hey Charlie,

Tell us more about this trip...sounds like you had fun...what were the thermals like?
“We abuse land because we see it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” ― Aldo Leopold
crvalley

Re: Wallaby Ranch

Postby charlie nelson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:25 pm

Mr Calif Redemption Value, Thermals were broken and tricky to track .thanks for asking. Mike Barber and two others went XC, while myself and 10 others sank out after 20 minutes. Mike B said that you ' gain 200' , then move' queried 'which way ' he said 'that's the tricky part , depends on what's happening , when the lift stops you'd better know which way to head , could be up , down or cross wind'
the tow was as rough as Calif, ..not a typical day . the tow pilot said it was the 3rd roughest day he'd ever seen at Wallaby. I broke a weak link at 2000', was going for 3K . should have pointed my nose at the tug's right wing tip as he entered the turn , but I went too wide and snapped it .
I only tried to fly 2 days. I believe Van tried to fly about 6 days , and finally got one day in, with three tows and got his brew consumption and AT rating .
how about your story Van?
email me at 'chahlieandkathy at yahoo dotto com'
charlie nelson

Return to General Discussion